Calling it the way I see it.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Bud Selig - Don't let the door hit you...


Bud Selig is going to retire in 3 years when his contract comes up. Not quite as lengthy as Jay Leno's retirement announcement, but now fans will call for his head for 3 years. I am glad he is going, but before you blame Selig for all of the problems think for a minute. He could not just make rule changes by himself. The Major League Baseball Players Association would fight him tooth and nail. He could have done more probably, but to protect their players, they would have threatened to strike. I think he's a moron for his contraction talks, and his All-Star Game decision, but I think his hands were tied, in a way, when it comes to steroid testing. The MLBPA knew the players were cheating. They just didn't want to come clean. Thankfully Congress stepped in and got the ball in motion. So don't blame him entirely for the steroid problem, there were many of other players.

However, this most recent CB agreement went way too fast. Why? Well, the teams were getting to spend more money, which explains the ridiculous contracts you are seeing today, but also because they didn't have to address HGH. I believe Bud thinks he is acting in the best interest of the game. To him, the best interest of the game means there is no work stoppage and the revenues are high. He's an owner. If he were a fan like us, he would hold the integrity of the game in higher regard.

Now, I'm not telling you to not bash Selig. I'm just saying don't blame him entirely for the steroid problem.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Just My Show said...

Way to keep things in perspective.

By the way, speaking of commissioners' troubles, here's a new quote from David Stern on the NBA ball scandal...

"I won't make a spirited defense with respect to the ball," Stern told the Times. "In hindsight, we could have done a better job. "With respect to the ball, I take responsibility for that."

What do you think? Is this thing gonna disappear faster than New Coke?

10:04 PM

 
Blogger Lester's Legends said...

I'm amazed he even is capable of admitting he's wrong. Good stuff Greens.

6:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States

Creator of lesterslegends.com